INTRO

My name is Andi. I live with a heart condition called AVNRT (AV Node Re-entrant Tachycardia). We are not sure how long I've truly had this, but my family believes I was born with it even though I was barely diagnosed in 2011.


So I will start with a quick intro, I've never written a blog so I apologize ahead of time if it sounds weird, I think it's weird to talk about myself HAHA!

I had a few fainting episodes growing up which seemed random, but now in retrospect, I had the same exact feeling and warning signs/symptoms as my most recent syncope episode which led to a series of events leading to a diagnosis. I know now that they were all caused by tachycardia and not dehydration like previously believed.

I had a cardiac cryoablation on November 19th, 2011 at Lucille Packard Children's Hospital, a branch of Stanford Univ. Hospital that considered the AVNRT "cured" (a cessation of declined quality of life). I was 19.

Now I am age 22, going on 23.

I am one of the few 2% that regressed after the ablation, and now have had to resume cardiac care.

I'm here to share my story.

I started a bucket list in 2008 and one of the items needing to be checked off of my list is to create my own blog. So here goes nothing!

Monday, February 24, 2014

It's All Good in the 'Hood!

Today has just been....awesome!

I actually feel productive for once. I have at least 10 more spoons left, which I need to give credit to my cardiologist because I think he and I found a med that works for me and I feel much more energetic. ANYWAYS:

I took Chevy to the dog park. Got my face painted for one of my nieces projects. I have done 3 loads of laundry, folded AND put away! (that's a huge feat btw) I finished editing my player profile pictures for this season. I redid my twin's baby shower invites because she had to change the shower date, I cleaned the bathroom....

...and leading to actual subject today:
I had a dentist appointment and scheduled 2 more for next week
     I know that sounds extreme, but for those of you that may NOT know, just as "your eyes are the windows to your soul"...

..."your mouth is the window to your heart"

Cardiac patients should really make sure their oral care is meticulous. I'm a nurse, and honestly, most nurses are the worst patients, including myself. I hadn't been to the dentist in maybe 5+ years, I kept having insurance changes so it was hard to keep one, so I pretty much gave up. The college where I live happens to offer a dental hygiene/dental program. As disappointed in my dental hygiene as I am, my teeth and mouth are bad enough to get free dental care because I qualified to be a patient for the students taking their board exam for their practicing licenses. I finally decided I needed to get my mouth taken care of, and the reasons being:

1) the plaque that grows on your teeth is the same exact thing as the plaque that can grow in your circulatory system, which can increase your risk of stroke/heart attack.

2) An unhealthy mouth can tell you that maybe your heart is unhealthy, too. Keeping an unhealthy mouth will lead to heart diseases.

3) Being on heart medications will most likely cause your mouth to be unhealthy (which is why I decided to get multiple dental appointments)...I bet 90% of you on a cardiac medication suffer from constant dry mouth...which leads to gengival hyperplasia and decay, leaving your heart more prone to disease (the vicious cycle)

Like I said, my teeth are so bad that it will take multiple appointments to get my gums irrigated, my teeth completely cleaned, and get a couple of fillings refilled.


TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH PEOPLE! just because they are white after using whitener does not mean they are healthy.

Also** for dry mouth- use sugar free hard candies, biotene, and NON-ALCOHOLIC mouth rinse (i.e. listerine zero)
My mouth. My gums are red and puffy (gengival hyperplasia) most likely from chronically being on a heart medication, not flossing like I'm supposed so, and always having a dry mouth because of my heart medications. My gums are currently trying to pull away from my teeth because of the plaque that has been caught under there, (you can tell on my lower jaw front teeth the most).


No comments:

Post a Comment